Hitting Pause or Something on My Schedule
Last week turned into a crazy, stressful week. I went to the Wow Summit in Philly on Monday, leaving my husband to handle the drop off and pick up of the kids at school. Somehow, this change precipitated a week of meltdowns by my preschooler. Meltdowns so bad that I had to pick up him at school 2 mornings shortly after I dropped him off.
Because he’s five, my attempts to talk about whatever was bothering my son didn’t go very far. Mostly, he talked about not knowing how to make the “A” in his name. He would be fine in the classroom up until he had to sit down for seat work. He is the youngest in the family, and we’ve seen before he has a low tolerance for frustration and trying new things.
After I got the second call on Thursday about my son, I decided to take him to the CVS Minute Clinic to get his ears and throat checked out. Strep has been going through our school, and my son complained about his ear hurting him on Sunday. Maybe he was sick with something making him more likely to get stressed?
Well, my young son has been sticking stuff in his ears again! The nurse practitioner pulled out a bit of play dough, a small piece of shiny cardboard from a craft kit, and a small rubbery thing. There may be something left in one ear; we’ll find out in the follow up.
In the meantime, I need to adjust my expectations and schedule for next week, maybe longer, as we get my son back into the preschool routine. While I’ve switched him to half day, I know my morning could get interrupted at any time which is stressful for me. I have to say no to new commitments until I know what’s going on with my son.
Personal – (habits that keep me healthy and happy)
- walk/run 3 times this week
- stretch and strengthen my body (I know I have to do this every day to maintain my injury recovery)
- drink 6-8 glasses of water a day
- eat green (daily salad and veggies & protein at dinner)
- read a book (I’m reading Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle)
People – (activities that promote relationship with the people I love)
- brunch with out-of-town relatives
- phone calls to friends and family
- set up a museum date with my mom
Purpose – (tasks that enable me to fulfill my purpose in life)
- parent/teacher conferences for my kids in elementary school
- work with my youngest son’s preschool teacher on getting him back into the preschool routine
- work on my blogging/writing business
- write an ebook
Passion – (activities and experiences which enable me to enjoy life)
- take pictures of the kids
Projects – (priority tasks that need to be finished this week)
- Girl Scout meeting