Explore the Everyday Moments of the Holidays
I’m as guilty as the next mom of rushing through everyday moments during the holiday season and missing those precious, intimate small moments of connection with my kids. I’ve got to-do lists about a mile long, or so it seems.
The holidays are not about to-do lists. Holidays are about people and relationships. To-do lists are tools to help us navigate the holidays and make choices.
As I put my family calender together last week for giving to grandparents and aunts, I realized that I focused so much on capturing images for the blog that I missed opportunities for capturing my kids as they grow. My oldest son is in his junior year of high school; we don’t have much more time with him.
Daily Instagram Holiday Challenge
I’m challenging myself to capture the intimate moments of this holiday season using Instagram. One of the beauties of Instagram is the hashtag feature. If I hashtag my photos each time I take them, I can find them again and turn them into a small holiday album for the kids to look at later. Persnickety Prints offers a soft-bound Insta-Book for $12 that I could put together in about 30 minutes.
Personal – (habits that keep me healthy and happy)
- make healthy habits part of my schedule
- walk 5 times this week
- stretch and strengthen my body
- drink 6-8 glasses of water a day
- eat green (daily salad and veggies & protein at dinner)
- read a book
People – (activities that promote relationship with the people I love)
- phone calls to my mom, a friend, and my mother-in-law
- set up a museum date with my mom (we talked about this in June and never set a date)
- pool time with the kids
- Sunday Afternoon Craft Time with the Kids
Purpose – (tasks that enable me to fulfill my purpose in life)
- work on our Family Christmas Card
- clean the Master Bathroom zone
- work on my blogging/writing business
- write an ebook
Passion – (activities and experiences which enable me to enjoy life)
- take pictures of the kids
- take pictures of daily moments with Instagram on my iPhone
Projects – (priority tasks that need to be finished this week)
- Family Holiday Card
- Girl Scout planning meeting