Yesterday, I finished my first race for 2014 as part of the #14in2014 challenge. Since I’m working my way up to my goal of 20 miles weekly, current at 12.93 miles for the week, my goal was simply to finish the race. Now that I’ve got that first race of the year tucked under my belt, I feel energized and ready to prepare for the next race in February.
Achieving that goal and making a plan for my weekly running is one way to build momentum to get up to the bigger goal of running 20 miles weekly again. I know that I need to keep up my regular habit of stretching and strengthening daily and do my 4 runs each week. I know I need to get enough sleep so that I won’t be too tired to run. I need to eat healthy foods and drink enough water to feel energized to run.
What helps you build momentum while working on your goals?
Creating a Healthier Balance in 2014
Last week on the blog, I and some other bloggy friends of mine talked about taking care of ourselves through healthy habits. This week, I’ll be delving into financial habits along with a fantastic guest post from a friend about balance and what it truly is.
At night, I’m reading through Step by Step Paleo written by Ruth Almon, a Paleo blogger I met through the Nourished Living Network. I’ll be reviewing her book at the beginning of February. Reading a book about healthy diet changes is inspiring me to make sure I eat clean more often. I slipped a bit during the holidays.
Personal – (habits that keep me healthy and happy)
- walk/run 4 times this week
- stretch and strengthen my body (I know I have to do this every day to maintain my injury recovery)
- drink 6-8 glasses of water a day
- eat green (daily salad and veggies & protein at dinner)
- read a book (Step by Step Paleo)
People – (activities that promote relationship with the people I love)
- date with my husband
- day trip with the kids: National Constitution Center in Philadelphia
- crafting with the kids
Purpose – (tasks that enable me to fulfill my purpose in life)
- call our orthodontist about coverage for my second son’s braces via our dental plan
- after I find out about the coverage, we may be changing our Health Savings Account contribution to use pre-tax dollars to pay for the braces
Passion – (activities and experiences which enable me to enjoy life)
- take pictures of the kids
Projects – (priority tasks that need to be finished this week)
- sell Girl Scout cookies
- prepare for more cookie training for our troop at this week’s meeting
A Picture for Thought
I did it! I ran my first race since July of last year, and ran the entire race. No walking!