About 2 weeks ago, I found some cute mini eggplants at our local produce place, Gentile’s Farm Market in Newtown Square. The first recipe I made with the eggplants was pretty good, though I realized that I had sliced the eggplants too thickly. They were very chewy. This time, I recommend slicing these purple beauties very thinly to ensure they cook all the way through.
Now you don’t need to add in the cold cooked corn if you don’t have any. I found their sweet taste was a good mix with the eggplant, red pepper, and pesto. While I love the goat cheese, you could also try crumbed Blue or Gorgonzola, or go with a sharp hard cheese, just not a cheddar. Finding another cheese to use is a great excuse to dig into the cheese bin at Whole Foods for bits of new cheeses to try.
- 4 to 5 mini eggplants, thinly sliced
- ¼ of a red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- cold cooked corn kernels
- 1 to 2 teaspoons basil pesto
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 T goat cheese (I use the Kirkland brand)
- Saute the eggplant and red pepper in olive oil until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the cooked eggplant and red pepper to a bowl and add in the cold cooked corn kernels. Mix in the pesto until the vegetables are completely covered. Add dollops of goat cheese on top.
Tomato and Bacon Salad
Tomatoes and Cucumbers in Oil and Vinegar
Tomatoes with Mozzarella and Basil
Pan-fried Eggplant and Tomato with Melted Provolone and Rose Romano Marinara Sauce with Green Peppers