How many days a week do you wear jeans? How about yoga pants? What’s the first thing you hear from your husband and kids when you wear a nice pair of pants and a blouse?
“Why are you all dressed up?” Yup, I hear that a lot, too. Then, my youngest son chimes in with a “Mom, you look nice!”, and I think Why don’t I do this more often. It doesn’t take that much time to wear nice clothes, make up and jewelry. In fact, I timed myself putting on makeup from primer and foundation to the eyes: just under 2 1/2 minutes.
What I Learned When I Put the Jeans Away
Last week, I decided I was reading way too much fiction on my Kindle app. I needed to spending some time educating myself, getting my brain out of its mushy state. While buying the Money Saving Mom’s new book on Amazon, I ran across an intriguing book, Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic: Lessons in Everyday Elegance, by Jennifer L. Scott, blogger behind The Daily Connoisseur.
At first, I thought, oh, this book isn’t for me. Then, my dear husband pointed out that too often I wear a pair of jeans and a green hoodie with Girl Scouts emblazoned across the front. He was tired of the hoodie. Admittedly, I was, too. I love putting outfits together; I just get lazy about doing it on a regular basis.
I started the No Jeans challenge the next day.
My Aha Moments
1. I’m super uncomfortable taking a picture of myself. Really uncomfortable. I know I’ve been struggling with how I look this fall carrying 5 extra pounds. Time to get more comfortable with where I am and what I look like.
2. Putting together a nice outfit doesn’t take that long. Most of the time I know what I like to wear and what flatters my figure. I need another pair of shoes for the winter, and a cream-colored blouse.
3. Putting on make up doesn’t take that long either. If a full face takes 2 1/2 minutes, lipstick and eyeline take about 30 seconds. I’ve got that time in my day.
4. Accessories make my outfits! My scarf and jewelry collection have taken simple outfits to another level. Plus, I love wearing a bit of sparkle every day. Who says moms can’t be sparkly daily?
5. My husband appreciates my effort to look nice. At first, he thought it was a lot of work, until I showed him it takes just as much time to dress nicely as it does to put on jeans.
6. I feel different about myself. I LIKE looking nice. I don’t think about those 5 extra pounds as much. I started tracking my calories to help me lose the 5 lbs.
My 5-Day No Jeans Challenge on Instagram
While doing the challenge, I shared my outfits from the challenge on Instagram and my Facebook page. I’ve decided to keep going with the challenge during the week, and give myself weekends off. I sure do miss those jeans, but not the hoodie.
First day of my #nojeans challenge for the next 5 days. I started “Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic” by @dailyconnoisseur last night and decided to challenge myself to no jeans for the next 5 days. Today I’m wearing a @calvinklein #sweaterdress and @ann_taylor_loft scarf and earrings, along with black tights and boots. #momlife #momfashion #madamechic
Day 2 of my #nojeans challenge — I’m wearing @leejeans pants, @talbotsofficial top and @ann_taylor_loft sweater with a scarf and earrings. I timed my makeup routine this morning. Just under 2 1/2 minutes to put on makeup. That’s it. #madamechic #momlife #momfashion #bloggersgetsocial #blogginglife A photo posted by Barb Hoyer (@babhoyer) on
Day 3 of #nojeans challenge: Deciding on jewelry took forever this morning! I ended up with a pair of earrings from @targetstyle along with a bangle and a scarf also from @target . The sweater is from @ann_taylor_loft ; the shirt from @talbotsofficial ; and the khakis from @leejeans . On my feet are loafers from @dswshoelovers , my fav show store. #momlife #mommylife #blogginglife #bloggersgetsocial #raspberry #madamechic
Day 4 of the #nojeans challenge: I am not terribly thrilled by this top from @ann_taylor_loft . I love the pattern but hate how it cuts across my body and doesn’t flatter my short height. I hate to get rid of it but this is going in the discard pile. #madamechic #momlife #mommylife #fashionfriday #momfashion A photo posted by Barb Hoyer (@babhoyer) on
Day 4 of the #nojeans challenge: this is the outfit I’m going with today. @talbotsofficial cardigan over a halter top from @ann_taylor_loft with khakis from @leejeans . Earrings are @katespadeny bought on sale a few years ago. Scarf from @target — I struggled a bit with today’s outfit. I couldn’t find earrings I liked and then I didn’t like how the blouse fit. I realized I love layering tops and cardigans. They also work better with my body type. #momlife #blogging #bloggersgetsocial #momfashion #madamechic