Real maple syrup can cost a fortune when you’re giving it to 5 kids on pancakes and waffles. Since homemade pancakes and waffles are easy breakfast to make in bulk, I’ve looked at other options for adding extra flavor to our favorite breakfast.
Fruit sauce, especially homemade fruit sauce, is a lower cost option. When you make your own sauce, you can control the amount of organic sugar in the sauce and enhance the flavor with extras like vanilla extract.
With strawberries in season, I can pick my own at a local orchard like Linvilla Orchards for $2.99/lb. Homegrown fruit is even cheaper. Otherwise, I’m paying $12 for 32 ounces of maple syrup at Costco or $17 to $24 for Grade B Maple Syrup on Amazon.
You can use this recipe to make blueberry, raspberry or blackberry sauce. Or, mix up several kinds of berries to make your own one of a kind sauce. Vanilla, almond or orange extract can increase the richness of the sauce without adding sugar.
- 5 cups of quartered strawberries
- ½ cup of organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch (GMO free)
- Rinse and cut off the stems on the strawberries.
- Depending on the size of the strawberries, cut them into halves or quarters. Small strawberries can be used whole to add texture to your sauce.
- Put prepared strawberries into large heavy-bottomed pot, and put organic sugar on top. Turn heat onto medium low.
- Once the strawberry mixture begins producing liquid, turn heat up to medium. Add dissolved cornstarch and mix in.
- Bring to a boil and let boil for 1 to 2 minutes while mixture thickens. Continue stirring while boiling to prevent boiling over. Remove immediately from heat when finished and allow to cool before storing in the fridge or freezer.
More Strawberry Recipes
How to Freeze Strawberries | NEPA Mom
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie | Vegging at the Shore
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie | Know Your Produce
Organic Whole Fruit Strawberry Popsicles | Know Your Produce
Simple Strawberry Jam | Lemons and Laughs
Strawberry Nutella Banana Bread | Lemons and Laughs
Strawberry Spinach Salad | Super Exhausted
The Secret To Thick Strawberry Jam | How I Pinch a Penny
Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe | Coupon Cutting Mom
Rhubarb – Strawberry Jam with Lemon Verbena | O’Boy Organic
|Granite Ware Steel/Porcelain Water-Bath Canner with Rack, 21.5-Quart, BlackFeatures:
|Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker (by Jarden Home Brands)Features:
|Ball Utensil SetFeatures:
|Blue Book Guide to Preserving, 37th EditionFeatures: