One Dish Dinners are the perfect easy dinner recipe for weeknights. They’re even better if you don’t need to use a lot of bowls and pans to get the ingredients ready for the dish. I love making Sausage, Vegetable and Pasta Stew for that very reason. If you need a gluten-free version, skip the pasta and add in sweet potatoes.
This dish started out as minestrone, but while I was looking for my minestrone recipe, I ran across a recipe that I had photocopied from Mark Bittman’s book, The Food Matters. Bittman had written a primer/recipe for a quick vegetable soup with lots of different ways to change it, though I don’t remember his including meat. What follows is my version of which my husband ate 3 helpings.
My Changes to the Vegetable Soup Recipe
I went with the veggie in the pantry and fridge that needed to be used up. None of the kids noticed the bok choy. The dried kale was an attempt to get some green stuff into my stew without it being noticeable. If you don’t have dried kale, then fresh kale or spinach would work just as well. I pureed the dried kale with the canned tomatoes to hide it more.
- 1 quart jar of tomatoes, pureed with dried kale
- about 2 cups of potato, cubed
- 2 ribs of bok choy, chopped
- 1 dozen mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 to 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. of loose sausage
- 2 cups of pasta, bow ties or something similar
- unflavored coconut oil
- Break the loose sausage into chunks if needed, and saute it in a heavy-bottomed pot. Remove from the pot when completely browned.
- Saute the carrot, bok choy, mushroom, and yellow pepper with unflavored coconut oil.
- Add 6 cups of chicken stock, and stir to remove the sausage bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the potatoes, seasonings, sausage, and pureed tomato. Cook until the potatoes are almost done, and add the pasta. Check the seasonings, and cook until the pasta is done.
Nomday Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Masterpiece Monday, Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party, The 104 Homestead Blog Hop, In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party, Teach Me Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Healthy Tuesday, The Mommy Club, Works for Me Wednesday, Worthwhile Wednesday, Save Money Monday, MMM Linky, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Homestead Barn Hop