As a lover of All Things Peeps, I decided to try making a gluten-free version of the Sunflower Peeps Cake with the help of my kids. The Sunflower Peeps Cake is an easy cake to put together, yet looks like you spent hours on the cake.
This is a fun dessert to make with the kids. They can help with all of the making or the final putting together of the cake depending on their age. If you’re short for time, use a gluten-free chocolate cake box mix (suggestions listed below) for your cake.
If you have time to make the gluten-free chocolate cake, it’s pretty easy finding a flourless chocolate cake recipe. Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate Cloud Cake uses baking chocolate for the chocolate flavor. You will need to melt the chocolate before incorporating in the cake. This flourless chocolate cake recipe from the Smitten Kitchen combines baking chocolate and cocoa powder for its chocolate flavor. Remember to dust the pan with cocoa powder not flour when making the cake.
Supplies for Gluten-Free Sunflower Peeps Cake
- Gluten-free chocolate cake (Betty Crocker, King Arthur Flour or Arrowhead Mills gluten-free chocolate cake baking mixes)
- Chocolate icing
- Bag of Chocolate Chips
- 4 boxes of yellow Peeps
Making the Sunflower Peeps Cake
1. Place the cooled flourless chocolate cake on the serving dish.
2. Ice the cake with your favorite chocolate icing.
3. Run the Peeps around the edge of the cake, making sure most of the body is on the cake.
4. Fill up the middle with chocolate chips. You can do a ring of chocolate chips around the edge next to the Peeps. Or, carefully place the chocolate chips side by side and fill up the middle.