In a rush to make dinner? Use leftover cooked chicken to make a simple dinner recipe like a chicken casserole. Toss in leftover cooked veggies and a grain like rice or noodles, and you have your simple dinner ready in 30 minutes.
I found this recipe via Better Homes and Gardens when I needed to use up cooked chicken breast. I don’t make a lot of casseroles because my kids are not too keen about having everything mixed up on their plate. With all the running we’ve been doing this fall, I need to get some easy casseroles into my meal planning to make weeknight dinners easier.
I changed the recipe a little to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand. I also stretched it to feed 7 people, not 4. If your chicken is a little dry like mine was, the sauce will add moisture back in.
- 1 package extra-wide egg noodles
- cooked chicken
- 1 quart package of frozen green beans
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3/4 cups cream
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Snipped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook egg noodles according to directions on package; don't over cook.
- Prepare chicken by removing it from the bones and chopping into bite size pieces. In a pot, combine the chicken, green beans, cream, Romano cheese, and garlic; heat thoroughly.
- Add the noodles to the chicken mixture and mix. Put in a greased oven-proof dish and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the mixture is bubbling.