Being in your best body shape doesn’t mean looking like someone else. It means being healthy, fit, and comfortable with your body shape, whatever that is. Remember moms have carried babies in their bellies, gained and lost pregnancy weight, and they’re growing older as their kids grow older. Moms will never look like their 20 year old selves again; they carry the physical signs of motherhood on their bodies.
Why Getting in Your Best Body Shape Matters
- More Energy – Motherhood is a tough, physical job for many years. We need stamina and energy to make it through sleepless nights and days spent chasing toddlers on the go.
- Keep Your Immune System Healthy – Let’s face it. Kids are walking germ factories. While we can teach them proper hygiene, until they learn it, they infect everyone. Moms don’t get sick days. We have to soldier on taking care of the family. Being healthy means we are less likely to catch the germs our kids carry around.
- Keep Medical Costs Down – Unfortunately, many families are paying out of pocket for medicines thanks to the popularity of Health Savings accounts to keep a lid on insurance costs for companies. My middle son has asthma, yet remains relatively healthy. Until we pay out our deductible for the year, we have to pay $140 per month for his inhalers. That’s $1,680 per year. Moms who are healthy aren’t at risk for diabetes and don’t need insulin to control their disease.
- Confidence and Empowerment – Physically speaking, working out produces endorphins in our body. They reduce our body’s perception of pain and trigger positive feelings in our body.
- Helps Our Mental Health – Exercise is often used in the treatment of depression. Motherhood can be stressful emotionally, leading to mild, yet functional depression and stronger illnesses like post partum depression.
- To Be There Not Only for Our Kids, But Our Grandkids – One of the hardest things to watch was the physical decline of my mother-in-law thanks to diabetes and back issues. My mother-in-law dotes on all 19 her grandchildren. Yet when her last grandchild arrived, my youngest son, she couldn’t hold him and do things with him as she had done with my oldest son because of her poor health.
3 YouTube Channels for At Home Workouts
On the days I don’t make it to Planet Fitness, I use free at home workouts from 3 channels on YouTube. All of these channels offer workouts that can be done in small spaces. Sometimes I’ll do them in my bedroom while the kids are getting ready for school. Other times, I’ll wait until the kids are in school, and do them in my larger kitchen. We only have a small Ikea table in the kitchen which is super easy to move.
Free Printable: Fitness Journal for Your Best Body Shape
How to Put Together Your Fitness Journal
You can print the pages, double-sided, in color (Draft mode on your printer to save money) or in black and white. I made my journal at home with what I had, a Martha Stewart notebook and dividers. This Avery half-size notebook is similar. You can also take the pages to Staples and have them coil bound for $5.
You can do this. You can get in better shape this year.