Baked ziti is one of my go-to meals on a hectic day. I can make bits and pieces of the dish at various points during the day, or just make the pasta and pull out the other ingredients from the freezer. The tomato sauce is good for hiding vegetables if I don’t have time to make a side dish.
If I do have time for a side dish, I like to saute green beans in olive oil with garlic, or spinach in olive oil with garlic. In my opinion, anything green makes a nice visual and taste contrast to the cheese and pasta.
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- grated nutmeg to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 16 oz of pasta, cooked and drained
- 30 oz of tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the pasta according to directions. If you do this early in the day, I recommend coating the pasta after it's cooked with a little olive oil. This keeps the pasta from sticking together too much
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan/Ricotta cheese, eggs, grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, or the cooking pot, combine the pasta and the tomato sauce.
- Layer half the pasta mixture in the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan, then add the cheese sauce, and cover with the rest of the pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until bubbly.