For healthy side dishes, Trader Joe’s has this organic broccoli slaw that I just love to use. While I could use it to make cole slaw, my favorite way to use the broccoli slaw is as a quick saute. Because the broccoli is so thin, it cooks up very quickly. The broccoli also works well with a variety of flavors, and doesn’t get soggy in the fridge after cooking.
This broccoli slaw can be turned into a quick soup for lunch by heating the cooked veggies in chicken stock until the stock begins to boil. Add a potsticker or 2 to increase the calories in the soup. I would also add a Tablespoon or 2 of lemon juice to taste. Or, add it to a green salad for a slightly different texture in the salad.
- 2 cups broccoli slaw (Trader Joe's brand)
- ½ onion cut very thinly
- ¼ red pepper cut very thinly
- about ½ inch cube of fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 T olive oil
- Heat a cast iron pan. When ready, pour in the olive oil. Saute the onions and broccoli slaw for a few minutes, and then add the red pepper, ginger, and garlic and saute until everything is gently cooked.
- Season to taste.