This Sunday being the first Sunday of Lent, I’ll be pulling out my Advent wreath and setting it up on our dining room table. I purchased the candles about a month ago when they were on sale at a local craft store. Since my wreath is made of fake greens, I like to add a few real touches when I display it each Advent. This year, I noticed that our holly has red berries. I’m also going to add a few sprigs of boxwood.
I have an felt Advent calendar which I made years ago, but I don’t have a place to display it well. It takes up a lot of wall space. It may end up on the boys’ bedroom door. I think this year we may mark the time with a paper chain in our dining room.
When we put lights up for Halloween, I put purple ones on the Butterfly Bush at the front of the house. I left these up for Advent. I found mine at Walmart in the Halloween section in October.
One special Advent decoration that I’ll be pulling out this year is our O Antiphon House. You can find more on this project at O Night Divine. Alas, the link is not available for the original House design. I promise to post a picture of our house when I pull it out this weekend.
I also like to put up my wreaths without decorations during Advent. The only ornament they recieve is a purple ribbon to mark the season. Then about December 17th, a week before Christmas, I begin decorating the wreaths and bringing out the Christmas decorations for inside the house.
Advent Decorating Ideas
- Kids Craft Weekly Advent issue – very simple ideas mostly using what’s on hand and suitable for the 3 and up crowd
- Sturdy No Flame Advent wreath
- The Craft section at Night Divine
- Advent Calendars from The Crafty Crow – very inspirational though I’m trying not to take on any more craft projects right now
Advent Feast Day Crafts
- Posie Gets Cozy: Santa Lucia Dolls – pretty simple to make for the 8 and older crowd, with some adult painting assistance for the younger ones.