My husband and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary this month (October). It’s been a long road to our 22nd anniversary. We’ve experienced addiction, 2 miscarriages, 2 episodes of post partum depression, financial difficulties, issues with kids, and job loss.
For the past few years as we work on making our marriage healthy again after putting addiction behind us, we keep circling back to the topic of being a team. When we fight, and yes, we continue to fight since we’re very human, at some point, one of us makes a statement about being a team, and being in this together. Because we both feel so strongly about being a team, I painted 4 square canvases with the word “TEAM” and put them on the radiator in our bedroom. It’s a daily reminder of our marriage promises.
Daily Love Notes for Your Husband
An even more personal daily reminder of our marriage promises are the love notes I started writing to my husband on our 22nd anniversary. I came up with the idea when I read a post about adding fun into your marriage. I decided to tell my husband every day something I loved about him or thank him for something he did. I wanted to him to know that I noticed and appreciated what he did.
When we’re mired in the daily business of family and work, it’s too easy to talk about scheduling sick appointments for kids and homework struggles.
What to Write
- Share a joke.
- Thank him for something he did recently for you.
- Tell him why you first fell in love with him.
- Share how you feel when he does something for you.
- Take a walk down memory lane sharing something you enjoyed doing together.
- Share lyrics from the song you danced to at your wedding.
- Flirt with him.
- Give him clues for a surprise you have planned.
- Write a poem or haiku.
- Draw a picture.
- Using the alphabet, share 26 things you love about him.