Ginger is one of my favorite fall spices. I love to bake with it; it’s perfect in recipes like Pumpkin Gingerbread. I also love to flavor my soups with ginger like this sweet yet spicy Ginger Butternut Squash and Apple Soup.
I adapted this soup recipe from The Garden Of Eating: A Produce-dominated Diet & Cookbook. At the time, I didn’t have fresh apples or coconut milk on hand. Dried apple slices work just as well if you soak them in liquid like chicken stock before making the soup.
- 2 to 3 T. unrefined coconut oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1 T. peeled, minced fresh ginger root
- ½ tsp. dried ginger
- 4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups Honey Crisp apples, chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt. Stir until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add ginger. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and garnish. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes until soft.
- Puree soup until smooth, using an immersion blender or food processor. Add water as needed, a little at a time.
I used coconut oil for sauteing the onions. It is possible to get unrefined coconut oil that does not have the distinct coconut flavor.
For the squash, I used butternut squash which has a slightly sweet flavor, but other types of squashes could be used.
The apples were Honey Crisp apple slices that I had dehydrated late last summer. Just popping them into the liquid re-hydrated them.
- How to Make Chicken Stock
- Ginger, Butternut Squash, and Apple Soup
- Ginger Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup
- Ginger, Mushroom, Carrot Soup
- Homemade Chunky Tomato Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Mushroom, Leek, and Onion Soup
- Mushroom and Potato Soup
- Cooking Oxtails/Beef Bones
- Pumpkin (Squash) Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Spinach Cream Soup with Bacon Bits
- Tomato, Kale and White Bean Soup
|DeLonghi DHB716 380-Watt Tri-Blade 2-Speed Handblender||All-Clad Stainless 8-Quart Stockpot||Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 54-Ounce Containers (Pack of 2)|