I wrote this post about Moms and Christmas back in November 2012. I’m republishing it today as a reminder to all the moms out there that we don’t have to do EVERYTHING to have a wonderful holiday season.
In fact, take some time now to think about the holidays before you get pulled into busy fall schedule. Sit down with a calendar and your list of must-to do’s and get them on your calendar. These are the non-negotiables. Be honest about how much time they’ll take. If other things come up, and they will, you already have the most important things scheduled.
My biggest challenge anymore is a lack of time. I volunteer at school, I volunteer for Girl Scouts, I blog/write, not to mention chauffeur my 5 children to various activities and cook and clean the house.
When I get to November, after the busyness of the first 2 months of school, I take a breath, and then start again with the holidays. Each year, I try to start earlier. Some years I can. Some years I don’t. I’m learning not to sweat it because I can’t do everything.
5 Tips for Enjoying Your Holidays
1. Don’t feel guilty. Guilt can destroy our peace.
2. Focus on the season your family is in. Some years, you may need to stay home with the kids and do small projects. Other years, you can go out for fieldtrips. It’s all okay.
3. Do a few things well.
4. Ask for help, and use it. As moms, we hesitate to ask for help, and then find ways to say no when help is offered to us. It is okay to say no if the help being offered doesn’t work for us, however, talk to the person first about your needs. Perhaps there is another way they can help that neither of you considered.
5. Say no. A wise mom once told me, “When you say yes to something, you’re saying no to something else.” Know what you will say no to, and what you will say yes to. Be crystal clear.
Holiday Planning Resources and Ideas
- Making a List and Checking It Twice: Organizing for Christmas Giving
- Fabulously Frugal Gift Giving Plan over 12 Months
- How I’m Planning for Christmas
- How to Create a Christmas Card with No Family Photo
- How to Get Yourself BACK on Track for the Holidays
- Number #1 Tip for a Stress-Free Christmas (video)
- #100daystoChristmas Organizing Notebook (video)
- Create a Wrapping Kit for Faster Wrapping Sessions
- Christmas Fun on a Small Budget
- Planning Ahead: A Peace-full Christmas
- A Perfect Christmas: Define Your Christmas Vision
- Simplify Your Christmas Gift Giving This Year
- Plan NOW for an ALL CASH Christmas
- 4 Simple Steps to an Organized Christmas