What’s green, filled with edible bugs, fun local music, and lots of great kids activities? The 9th Annual Clear Air Council Green Fest Philly being held this weekend in Headhouse Square in Philadelphia.
(I received a free food/drink voucher and free parking voucher along with fun green swag for sharing this festival information with my readers.)
9th Annual Clean Air Council Green Fest Philly 9.7.14
When: Sunday, September 7, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Headhouse Square (2nd/South Street), Philadelphia
Hosted by Clean Air Council, the tri-state region’s largest environmental festival is bigger than ever with live music, free demos, an outdoor beer garden, organic food and drinks, handmade and green shopping, MOM’s Organic Market Kids’ Corner, a twenty-five foot rock wall, and even edible bugs.
Get More with a Green Card
Festival “Green Cards” are also on sale at www.greenfestphilly.org for $30 that includes food and drink discounts, a free t-shirt, and eco-friendly swag.
What’s Happening at Green Fest
MOM’S Organic Market Kids’ Corner
- Healthy Snacks from MOM’s Organic Market – Kids and parents are welcome to stop by MOM’s Organic Market’s booth for free samples and healthy snacks. Kids can also pick up their FREE Greenfest t-shirts (free to the first 200 children).
- Kids Play with Clay from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – The Clay Studio will be hosting a group-sculpt in the MOM’s Organic Market Kids’ Corner. Kids will be invited to sculpt small objects with traditional clay materials and put them together, creating a large group sculpture.
- Frisbee Spin Art from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Always a Greenfest favorite, Tall Pines Day Camp will be helping kids to create colorful and exciting spin art on Frisbees.
- Kid’s Yoga, time TBA – Yoga Garden will be leading a yoga class just for kids! Creative thinking, flexibility, better health, inner focus, greater concentration, improved social skills and physical strength are just some of the benefits of yoga for kids. Through interactive games and exercises, kids learn yoga postures, breathing techniques and lots more! And it’s all just plain fun!
- Rock Climb from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Kids and adults can catch climbing fever and try their hand at scaling a 25 foot rock wall.
Other Green Fest Highlights
- Enjoy a tasty surprise as you sample edible bugs including crickets on crackers and chocolate brownies made with flour made from ground bugs.
- Shop for eco-friendly fashion, beauty, and home goods – including SteelCore organic workout wear, Soapbox Holistic soaps, and Glad Dog Nation recycled dog toys.
- Purchase one of a kind handmade art and crafts from eco-artisans such as Beaucycled upcycled jewelry and accessories, and Urban Textile Works prints.
- Win exciting prizes like a Trek bike from Philadelphia Insurance Companies to make commuting greener AND more fun.
- Become educated and take action on critical environmental issues from leading advocacy groups.
- Pick up a free Philadelphia blue recycling bin for your home or office.
- Leave your ‘wheels’ with the complimentary bike valet courtesy of Philadelphia Insurance Companies.
- Clean out your closets and bring your clothing, accessories, toys, books and more to the Philly Swap at Greenfest Philly. Bring gently used clothing, toys and books for free entry into the swap area, or make a $5 donation (includes a free Philly Swap bag). Upon entry in the swap, you are free to roam and take what you’d like.
- Enjoy a rest and recharge station with refurbished chairs and furniture, free iced tea, coffee and solar powered chargers.
Local, Organic Food!
Sample delicious, healthy, local and organic food from popular food trucks and local eateries.
- Farm Truck was built around knowing what is in your food and where it comes from. All produce comes from local farms, all bread from a local bakery, and the coffee is organic, fairly traded and locally roasted.
- Kung Fu Hoagies is an all vegetarian and vegan friendly food cart serving South and West Philadelphia. Hoagies, noodles and sides creatively inspired by traditional vegetarian Vietnamese food, served by friendly local Kung Fu addicts.
- Little Baby’s is a hand-made, small-batch, super-premium Ice Cream and non-dairy frozen dessert company based in East Kensington, Philadelphia.
- Lil’ Pop Shop’s unique ice pops are hand-crafted in small batches from a seasonal assortment of fresh, natural, locally-sourced ingredients. No neon or artificial ingredients or dyes are ever used in their ice pops.
- Local 215 is committed to sourcing as many ingredients locally as possible while still providing you with high quality affordable food options year round. It is their mission to extend only the freshest, most natural and unprocessed foods to their customers. Buying from local farmers not only makes their dishes delicious; it also supports our neighbors’ livelihoods.
- SoomFoods will offer Soom Tahini, a pure sesame butter that is a versatile ingredient for both savory and sweet recipes. All products are made in a peanut-free facility. All of SoomFoods’ Tahini products are kosher, gluten-free, and vegan.
Other food and drink vendors will include:
- ACME Markets
- Bonjour Creperie
- Cobblestone Krautery
- The Twisted Tail
Live Music at Green Fest
Local music is more sustainable than music that has to be shipped thousands of miles to your ears. In the Greenfest Philly spirit, Earth Jam 2014 features 4 of the most exciting emerging bands Philly has to offer. Music runs 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- West Philadelphia Orchestra: With a diverse line-up of professional Philadelphia musicians whose influences range from Sun Ra to Bulgarian brass bands, West Philadelphia Orchestra is a unique live ensemble in today’s auto-tuned musical world.
- Ron Gallo: Ron Gallo is an ever-changing, good spirited, weirdo madman. This “arts and crafts music project” of the same name is an attempt at capturing where Ron Gallo is at any given moment.
- Pine Barons: Born among the pitch pines of southern New Jersey. With a wide spectrum of influences, from classic rock to folk, jazz, and punk, Pine Barons is an amalgamation of four personalities and visions whose friendship and respect shape their craft.
- No Stranger: No Stranger is a musical chronicle of Jonathan Cooney’s journey through life and his attempt to understand our time in it. His blend of acoustic finger style under an ethereal voice aims for your heart and hopes to stay.
Greenfest Philly is presented by Clean Air Council, with support from Aversa PR & Events, MOM’s Organic Market, Philadelphia Insurance Companies (PHLY), PGW EnergySense, SCA, Waste Management, Zip Car, Amtrak, Enterprise Car Share, door door organics, Sustainable Business Network, South Street Headhouse District, ConsolidatedSolar.net and AVRS.
For more information, visit the website, call 215-567-4004, and follow @greenfestphilly on Twitter.
Since its launch in 2006, Greenfest Philly has been a model for producing sustainable events. The festival demonstrates its commitment to reducing environmental impact by sourcing power from two large solar powered generators, recycling and composting over 80% of waste, and providing attendees with water bottle refill stations and a complimentary bike valet. All festival exhibitors are evaluated by Clean Air Council to ensure they are providing services, information, or goods that are sustainable.
Clean Air Council
Clean Air Council is a member-supported, non-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting everyone’s right to breathe clean air. For more information, visit www.greenfestphilly.org or www.cleanair.org.