Gingerbread houses are a Christmas tradition the whole family can make together. You can keep the activity simple with my Easy Gingerbread house, doctor up a gingerbread house kit, or make one from scratch. Whatever your plan, use my 9 tips to make the most of the fun!
9 Tips for Making Amazing Gingerbread Houses
Mini Gingerbread Houses | Cake Time – Such cute little versions of gingerbread houses! If you feel uncomfortable translating the recipe into American measurements, just use your favorite gingerbread recipe.
Spice Drop Campfire | Wilton Decorating – Warm up your gingerbread house with this easy spice drop campfire.
Tips for Making Gingerbread Houses | The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie – Lots of great tips for making gingerbread houses, including creating them over a few days.
Candy Cane Cones | Coupon Clipping Cook – While your older kids are making gingerbread houses, have your preschooler make one of these easy candy cookie cones.
Rice Krispie House | Moms and Munchkins – This rice krispie house is a much easier way to make a gingerbread house without all the fuss.
6 Simple Ways to Make a Gingerbread House | Smart Schoolhouse – Skip the premade gingerbread house kits and try one of these simple ways.
Organize Your Candy Supplies with a Muffin Tin | – She Wears Flowers – A muffin tin is a great way to keep candy organized for decorating, plus, kids can’t knock the tin over.
Candy Snails and Mushrooms | Martha Stewart – Populate the outside of your gingerbread house with some of these fun creatures.
Peanut Butter Christmas Trees | – Teacher by Day Chef by Night – Create a forest of Christmas trees out of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.
Ways to Decorate Your Gingerbread House
- large marshmallows to make snowmen
- pretzels for a fence (or yogurt covered pretzels for a snow covered fence)
- gingerbread men
- large green gumdrop bushes
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch for shingles
- pretzel sticks or licorice to frame windows or doors
- circle gummies or Lifesavers for the front door wreath
- mini M&M’s as Christmas lights on house and trees
- string licorice to line a walkway to the front door
- chocolate pebbles for a driveway
- Shreddies for a sidewalk
- mini candy canes to line the walkway
More Ideas for Gingerbread House Decorations
- Roof: Necco Wafers, mini marshmallows, shredded wheat cereal, oats, Rice Krispies, gumdrops, Andes Mints, crushed Butterfingers, corn flakes, peppermints, M&M’s, Skittles, Starbursts, sliced Snickers, nuts, Spree
- Tree: ice cream cones decorated with silver balls, and red hots, mini candy canes + jelly fruit slices
- Doors: Nestle Crunch, Hershey’s Bars, graham crackers, stick gum
- Doormat:Pez, Chicklets
- Walls: stick gum, caramels sliced, Skittles cut in half, jelly beans cut in half
- Windows: lined in royal icing, melt candy for glass windows
- Windowpanes: crushed clear red candies
- Shutters: Hershey’s chocolate bars, crackers, Nestle’s Crunch, stick gum, Andes Mints
- Fences: pretzel sticks, shaped pretzels
- Mosaic path: licorice pieces, colorful candy-coated chocolate pieces, Spree, Snickers, nuts, Rice Krispies, Skittles, M&Ms , Starbursts, candy wafers, red hots, chocolate bar slices, gumdrops, Nerds, rock candy
- Bushes: jelly fruit slices, large marshmallows
- Christmas lights: thin licorice ropes, jelly beans, colorful candy-coated chocolate pieces, mini dot candy
- Cart: pretzel squares, graham crackers, frosted wheat cereal
- Snow: shredded coconut, white cotton candy (who even knew?), powdered sugar
- Wreath: Lifesavers, Cherrios, Fruit Loops
- Presents: sugar cubes, caramels
- Lamppost: candy cane + gumdrop, lollipops, peppermint sticks
- Snowmen: large marshmallows
- Slides & Seesaws:mini candy bars, Laffy Taffy
- Swing Set: mini candy canes + rope licorice + mini candy bars
- Benches & Wagons – mini candy bars, graham crackers
- Log Pile:toostie rolls, cinnamon sticks cut in thirds, mini pretzels, mini candy bars sliced
Gingerbread House Making Supplies
A few essential supplies will help make your Gingerbread House Making and Decorating a success!